[plt-scheme] Re: No More Boring Code

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 8 00:27:46 EDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 23:46:12 -0400,
hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 12:36:01PM +0900, Benjamin L.Russell wrote:
>>
>> I'm not an artist, and therefore I can only make suggestions, but how
>> about an idea similar to the following:
>>
>> Since code tends to be boring if it both does not require any
>> imagination, but is too difficult to be purely mechanical, divide the
>> T-shirt image into two halves:  a top half symbolizing boring code,
>> and a bottom half symbolizing abstraction tools to obviate the need
>> for Boring Code.
>>
>> Find an example of code that is very boring when written in Java, but
>> can be abstracted into something very concise and interesting in PLT
>> Scheme.
>>
>> For the top half of the background, put the boring Java code, and
>> color that code in a light gray color to allow superimposing.  Put the
>> red circle with the line through it over that top half.
>>
>> For the bottom half, put the interesting PLT Scheme abstraction, and
>> similarly color that code in the light gray color to allow
>> superimposing.
>
>Isn't a green circle the symbol for something being allowed?
>
>Why not use that?

Okay, in that case, substitute the green circle for the chart.

Alternatively, to keep the chart depicting the relation between
boredom and task complexity, additionally move both halves down by a
third of the height of the logo space, and put the chart vertically
above the two halves.

I.e., the top one-third would be the chart, the middle one-third would
be the boring code with the red circle with the line though it
superimposed, and the bottom one-third would be the interesting code
with the green circle superimposed and the phrase "Ban Boring Code!"
in Zapfino just below it.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^