[plt-scheme] Re: Formlets in PLT

From: Michael Forster (mike at sharedlogic.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 25 13:25:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Michael Schuerig <michael at schuerig.de> wrote:
[...]
> When I see X-exps and other approaches that abstract away from HTML,
> there's a concern that invariably comes to my mind: How do you work
> with web designers who only know HTML, CSS, and possibly JavaScript?
> The easiest answer, of course, is that you don't. Either you're doing
> the design yourself or coax the designer into writing X-exps (somewhat
> unlikely). Translating plain HTML/CSS pages to another, more programmer
> friendly notation, is rather tedious especially when the design is
> still evolving.

Our answer: We don't :-)

Of course, our needs and audience are very specific.  We develop database
applications with web-based front-end.  Note: I didn't write "database-backed
dynamic website" or whatever web developers like to call them.  We use web
technologies to replace things like PowerBuilder in the traditional corporate
database application environment.  There are no "web designers" worth the
trouble in our neck of the woods, and, frankly, we don't need a unique design
for every page.  We need a Microsoft Access-like web-based front-end.  We
need components, widgets, gadgets, etc., _not_ templates.  We're very much
in line with Avi Bryant regarding this:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/avi/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3257728961

Cheers,

Mike