[plt-scheme] Re: [redex] Alternative to named holes

From: Ronald Garcia (garcia at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 18 09:38:29 EDT 2008

Thanks for your fast answer.  Just to clarify, is the "zero/multiple
holes" error an error in particular language specifications, or an
error in Redex?  It sounds like you mean something that causes
evaluation to get stuck but I'm not sure.   Also, are you suggesting
changing language syntax in some way that makes named holes
unnecessary?  I will give that a try and get back to you if I don't
figure it out.

Thanks again,
ron

On Sep 16, 2008, at 2:18 PM, robby at cs.uchicago.edu wrote:

> They were removed because all of the (non-trivial) uses of them we
> know of were broken, in the sense that any language that used them
> also had the property that they triggered the "zero/multiple holes"
> error, for some expression in the language. Also, all of those uses
> could be rewritten to fix the error but also to remove the use if
> multiple holes.
>
> If you're not sure how to rewrite out the named holes, send me
> something and I can probably help.
>
> Robby
>
> On 9/16/08, Ronald Garcia <garcia at cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I am looking at upgrading a project to use the version of PLT Redex
>> that ships with PLT Scheme v4.1, but I am using named holes and I
>> noticed that named holes have been removed from the system.  First,
>> why were they removed? Second, are there any standard or suggested
>> workarounds for their absence?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ron

Posted on the users mailing list.