[plt-scheme] DrScheme tool development practices

From: Stephen De Gabrielle (spdegabrielle at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 12:03:54 EDT 2008

Thanks,
I didn't realise that planet link items took precedence!

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> > ; when ready to release; (use sake to automate this? )
> > planet unlink [dev-id] foo.plt 1 4  ;; remove the link
> > planet create foo ;; create foo.plt file for test installation  [Will -
> is
> > there a reason to compile a temporary copy?]
> > planet fileinject [dev-id] foo.plt 1 4  ;; install for testing
>
> You do not want to unlink the package at this point.  If you take
> Will's (good) advice and test/build from a temporary copy, in fact,
> make sure to unlink the original and link the copy.

I thought that link-ing or fileinject the copy were functionally equivalent?
- provided you remembered to unlink the original - so linking is probably
safer?

When you run
> planet create, Planet attempts to build your Scribble documentation so
> it can include a rendered HTML file that will be readable on the
> Planet server.  If you unlink your package, any internal references to
> (planet <dev-id>/foo:1:4/...) will be broken and planet create may
> fail.

I don't understand -  I thought the [planet]create-ed/fileinject-ed copy
would have the documentation included?

Leave your development links intact and functioning while using planet
> create.

(because create builds the documentation?)

I think I'm missing something in my understanding of building scribble
documentation.
Does scribble documentation need to be built in-place (via planet link) to
work? [if it references other documentation?]

Thanks again [to all of you] for taking the time to help me with this.

Cheers

Stephen