[plt-scheme] DrScheme tool development practices

From: Will Farr (farr at MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 17 11:23:45 EDT 2008

Stephen,

On Sep 17, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Stephen De Gabrielle wrote:

> planet create foo ;; create foo.plt file for test installation
> [Will - is there a reason to compile a temporary copy?]

I create a temporary local copy for two reasons:

1. It's a check that I've properly put *all* the necessary files into
revision control, and haven't left something out.
2. "planet create foo" grabs the entire contents of the foo directory
and stuffs it into the PLaneT package.  That means that my revision
control system's "pristine" copy of the files gets grabbed, too.
Then, when compiling the PLaneT package, setup-plt descends into the
"pristine" sub-directory, and compiles those files, too.  I don't want
my users to get confused by this, so I don't include it in the
directory I use "planet create foo" on.

Will

Posted on the users mailing list.