[plt-scheme] Can you study HTDP to satisfy the goal to learn Functional Programming?

From: Mark Engelberg (mark.engelberg at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 9 23:38:56 EDT 2008

I find that for me to really get a different style of programming, I
need to study large, nontrivial programs written in that style.  For
me, HtDP doesn't really provide that.  All the examples in the book
are too small.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend just one book for this purpose.  Over
the years, I've read a large number of books written in a variety of
languages, and most books have one or two large programs to study, so
for me it's been more of a cumulative process.  Of the books I've read
most recently, the new Erlang book comes to mind as having a couple
good extended examples of FP in action.

--Mark

Posted on the users mailing list.