[plt-scheme] Re: What about "The Little Schemer"?

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz (jao at gnu.org)
Date: Sun Sep 7 21:33:51 EDT 2008

Woodhouse Gregory
<gregory.woodhouse at gmail.com> writes:

> This, together with its companion volume "The Seasoned Schemer", are
> books I've returned to many times. By no means should you expect to
> fully appreciate them on a first read! Unlike HtDP programs, this
> isn't really a general introduction to programming in Scheme. It's not
> a cookbook or an an "advanced" text in the usual sense, either. It's a
> book about ideas. I think these are books that will make you a better
> programmer, not by teaching "coding techniques" but by helping you to
> understand some fundamental concepts in a deeper way.

Total agreement. I remember that it was reading these books that
concepts like (tail) recursion, the Y combinator or continuations really
'clicked' on me. The same goes for 'The Reasoned Schemer' and
declarative programming. And yes, the clicking only really happened on
second or third readings, which only adds to the fun (i still laugh when
i remember my stupid feelings after my first reading of TLS).

Posted on the users mailing list.