[plt-scheme] HTDP: How much do your students study?

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sun Sep 7 22:07:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Jos Koot <jos.koot at telefonica.net> wrote:
> Agreed, making a certain attitude a habit requires repetition.

Sometimes I feel like every word in the book is there for reason;
every problem is there to illustrate some point, and I don't want to
miss out on a real gem of an exercise. If there is rote repetitive
stuff in there, I would want to avoid that.

> But slavishly doing homework is not enough.

Agreed.

> One should acquire the skill to apply the discipline on exercises invented
> by oneself and in the very end on problems encountered as a professional
> programmer.

Discipline, Perseverance, and Self-Control are critical.

> In the very end, they are not mere theory, of course, even when it comes to
> making money out of the programming.

Good practices are even more important when things are going wrong.

Posted on the users mailing list.