[plt-scheme] problem to create string with unicode

From: Richard Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 6 15:21:32 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 02:28:43PM -0400, Andre Mayers wrote:
> I want to print a big sigma with
>
> (display (integer->char 9138))(newline)
> (display (integer->char 9139))
>
> or with
>
> (display (string (integer->char 9138) #\return (integer->char 9139)))
>
> but I got extra character

We'll need more information to help you here.  Are you running in DrScheme
or MzScheme?  Which version?  What OS?  Which version?  And what precisely
are you seeing?  Rendering Unicode text depends on a lot of things beyond
DrScheme, not least of which is the specific font you're using.

I tried this on MacOS 10.5.4 running DrScheme 4.1, and I'm seeing a gap
between the two halves of the big sigma.  As far as I can tell, this is a
font thing rather than a DrScheme thing.

On my system, it looks like only one font, Apple Symbol Regular, provides
either of these two glyphs, and the large gap appears to be part of the
glyphs themselves.  I certainly get the gap in Apple's TextEdit.app as well
as in DrScheme.  So you can only get rid of that gap if you have control
over the precise placement of the individual glyphs on the page or screen,
and that's just not something that `display' gives you.

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.