[plt-scheme] ANN: Sake, a build tool

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 3 12:37:52 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
> How does this compare to the Make that comes with PLT Scheme?
>
> http://docs.plt-scheme.org/make/index.html

The focus of that library is managing dependencies between files,
presumably for the purposes of recompilation.  I have found this isn't
very important with most Scheme projects, as mzc does dependency
tracking automatically.  The features Sake provides that the PLT make
doesn't are:

1. Tasks that don't produce or depend on files (e.g. installation)
2. Convenient syntax
3. Provided library of actions (currently: test, compile, package)
4. Convenient invocation of any task via command line tool

Sake doesn't yet track dependencies between file based on time-stamps.
 I have yet to find this important (in the ENTIRE DAY I've been using
Sake; this feature is next on my list).

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.