[plt-scheme] planet: help submitting bugs & a question

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 2 09:16:43 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> That sounds like a neat usability/quality feature.
>
> Will it also drive home another dynamic of contracts?  I might be
> misunderstanding, but, if code in package B accepts invalid input from
> package A and passes it through to package C, will the developer of package
> B then be getting annoying bug reports until s/he adds contracts to put the
> blame on package A (or input checks to error-out before a contract violation
> happens)?

No, contracts will continue to work properly. :)

But if you have a confusing example, please do let me know (the
example doesn't have to involve planet, of course -- the contract is
mostly planet agnostic; it just puts a link in at the very end if the
blame ends up on a planet source file).

> Regarding whether DrScheme anonymously submitting bug reports on contract
> violations reports raises privacy or sensitive-information issues, I think
> in some cases it would.  I think there should definitely be user
> confirmation in the loop on each such submission.  This is mostly a matter
> of principle regarding PLT, since I doubt anyone's dotcom will be scooped or
> marriage ruined because someone else noticed suspicious patterns in contract
> violations.  However, pervasively handling info privacy/security well is a
> good practice, and might even occasionally pose an important question
> relevant to PLT research.

Right.

One could imagine a command "planet send-collected-info" or somesuch,
but I suspect that that would not get used much.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.