[plt-scheme] plt-web-server configuration

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 28 16:47:11 EDT 2008

> I think of the Web Server as an operating system for servlets. The
> namespace business (as well as its use of custodians, etc) provide
> very strong isolation. If you are following at home and want to remove
> this "feature", look at make-servlet-namespace in the docs.

I should add that this has always been the vision for the PLT Web
server.  From our original (2001) paper:

  http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/gkvf-web-server-on-hlos/

  Abstract.  Many modern programs provide operating system-style
  services to extension modules. A Web server, for instance, behaves
  like a simple OS kernel. It invokes programs that dynamically
  generate Web pages and manages their resource consumption. Most Web
  servers, however, rely on conventional operating systems to provide
  these services. As a result, the solutions are inefficient, and
  impose a serious overhead on the programmer of dynamic extensions.

Opening paragraph:

  A Web server provides operating system-style services.  Like an
  operating system, a server runs programs (e.g., CGI scripts).  Like
  an operating system, a server protects these programs from each
  other.  And, like an operating system, a server manages resources
  (e.g., network connections) for the programs it runs.

In some of his work, Jay has, for instance, shown how this kind of
management needs to extend to better isolation of state even *within*
a program.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.