[plt-scheme] Manipulating Scheme vectors with FFI

From: Will Farr (farr at mit.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 28 14:51:46 EDT 2008

Benjamin,

You should look at the SRFI-4 vectors from Section 6.3 of the FFI: PLT
Scheme Foreign Interface.  In particular, the type you want is
_f32vector, with the associated (make-f32vector ...) and
(f32vector-set! ...) functions.  This data type is distinct from
ordinary Scheme vectors because it can *only* store 32-bit floats.  In
exchange for this loss of flexibility, it stores the floats unboxed in
the array, just as in block of memory pointed to by a C "float *".  It
is passed to foreign functions by address (that is, the address of the
memory block storing the floats); a foreign function cannot return a
f32vector (and, as far as I can see from the mzlib/foregin.ss sources,
there is no way to take an arbitrary pointer and make an f32vector out
of it).

Good luck!

Will