[plt-scheme] Re: Scheme workshop survey

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 19 22:02:14 EDT 2008

Hi Marc,

Please, relax.

I was the one who started the "complaint".  It was meant to be
somewhat light-hearted.  It got away from that.  Sorry.

But this thread has NOT been complaining about your Web site.  It has
mostly been about a question of semantics: what is a value, what is
equality, what is the difference between printing and evaluating.  I
like to think that at least a few people are being provoked to think
about things they took for granted about Scheme.  Someone may have
even learned something -- if nothing else, better understood why they
believed what they believed.  I don't think that's a bad thing.

There has really been only one message (in the latter part of the
thread) focused exclusively on the Web site.  In fact, in a thread of
about 40 messages, the only messages about the Web site are:

- your initial message about the survey
- my response
- Prabhakar's message (#38 or so)
- Robby's response (#39 or so)
- your last message

That's a pretty good s/n ratio.

It's true that none of these messages are focusing on "the Scheme
community".  That is because:

- This thread has become about values and semantics, not about the
Scheme community.  It did so from message #3 onward, so it's not even
like some "Scheme community discussion" got hijacked.

- It's not clear this is the right venue to discuss the Scheme
community in general.

- I didn't know we were *having* a discussion about the Scheme
community.  All I know is there was a request to fill in a survey, and
I did so immediately (incidentally, *before* I posted that message).
I have not seen any survey results to discuss.  So I don't know what
there is to talk about, really.

If you think there is value in having a specific discussion about
something community-oriented (but also PLT-related), then please
enlighten us.  Start a thread on that topic, and there's a decent
chance we'll stay focused to discuss it.

But please don't get upset.  It's not personal, and I don't think the
situation is quite so bad as you're suggesting.

Cheers,
Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.