[plt-scheme] print-object equivalent

From: Dave Gurnell (d.j.gurnell at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 12:55:40 EDT 2008

Hi Deep,

This was a quite recent addition to PLT. Someone can correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think you have to be running a Subversion build from some
time in the last month for this to work.

All you have to do is implement the printable<%> interface and the
custom-display and custom-write methods in your class. Untested
example follows:

   (define my-class%
     (class* object% (printable<%>)
       ; output-port -> void
       (define/public (custom-display out)
         (display "[Instance of my-class%]" out))
       ; output-port -> void
       (define/public (custom-write out)
         (display "[Instance of my-class%]" out))))

Cheers,

-- Dave

> I have merrily hacking using DrScheme and wanted to know if theres
> some way to define what controls the printed representation of objects
> of a given class. I am looking for plt schemes equivalent to the
> print-
> object generic function from lisp.
>
> Also I was looking for advice to implement logging in an application
> which uses objects. Is it possible using some metaclass based magic to
> get all defined classes in my application to log all messages they
> receive ?
>
> PS: Thanks for the great *searchable* documentation that comes with
> DrScheme. It makes DrScheme one of the most productive environments
> ive used in a long time.

Posted on the users mailing list.