[plt-scheme] How best to use PLaneT?

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 10 11:40:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Jens Axel Soegaard
<jensaxel at soegaard.net> wrote:
> Matt Jadud skrev:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I generally find coding against PLaneT to be a frustrating experience.
>> This is probably due to the way I use it. For this reason, it becomes
>> a question of practice.
>>
>> Question: Should I always code against a specific library version?
>>

> That's what I do now.
>
> There is just one small catch (correct me if I am wrong - in fact I hop I am
> wrong):
> A program can only use one version of a PLaneT package at a time.
> This matters if you use library A and B, and library A uses a different
> version
> of library B than you do.

That is right by default. But a planet author can also declare that a
planet package does not use any external state and thereby free the
clients to have multiple versions instantiated at once.

(Or, if you really really want to, you can also set up multiple
namespaces. The constraint is one version per namespace.)

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.