[plt-scheme] SRFI 41

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Wed Oct 8 15:40:35 EDT 2008

SRFI 41 in PLT is almost an identical copy of the reference implementation.
I did not yet know it was adopted in PLT, but I am glad to see it there. It
does not include procedure stream-member. This procedure is given as an
example in the document. Clearly the example is incorrect.

I suggest:

#lang scheme
(require "streams.ss")

(define (stream-member eql? obj strm)
  (let/ec ec
    (stream-let loop ((strm strm))
      (cond
        ((stream-null? strm) strm)
        ((eql? obj (stream-car strm)) strm)
        (else (loop (stream-cdr strm)))))))

(define s1 (stream-cons 'a (stream-cons 'b stream-null)))

(stream->list (stream-member eq? 'a s1)) ; --> (a b)
(stream->list (stream-member eq? 'b s1)) ; --> (b)
(stream->list (stream-member eq? 'c s1)) ; --> ( ) ; signals that the
element is not found.

The solution given by Phil goes wrong on
(stream-member eqv? #f (make-stream #f)) and
(stream-member eqv? #f stream-null)
 because it returns (stream #f) in both cases. It does not show whether the
returned value, i.e (stream #f), is the last cdr of the stream or a signal
that the element has not been found. Since the result cannot be empty if the
element is found it is better to return null-stream in this case.

Jos