[plt-scheme] nonstandard installation

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 28 12:24:42 EST 2008

Matthew Flatt wrote:
> Are these Sparc machines or x86 machines? Sparc would explain slowness
> on Robby's test, because the JIT doesn't currently support Sparc ---
> and Robby's test is a worst-case example for JIT versus non-JIT
> execution.

These are Sparc machines. There are some x86 Linux servers in the
undergraduate environment; I will request PLT Scheme installation on those.

> For start-up, my guess is that the difference is in where the bytecode
> files are stored, since start-up time is dominated by loading in
> bytecode. Another possibility (which also applies to the difference in
> the scaled-down version of Robby's test) is a difference between using
> shared libraries versus static builds, if one the other version was
> configured with --enable-shared.

I will look into the location of the .zo files (and where the user
directory containing the locally-built version is stored), and ask about
the installation configuration options. Thanks. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.