[plt-scheme] Re: The Philosophy of DrScheme

From: Eduardo Bellani (ebellani at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 08:52:26 EST 2008

Well, I guess great minds think alike :)
>From what I'm seeing so far the target population are a bit different,
yours being mostly the undergrad students, Papert's being children,
but I guess the goal is pretty much the same:

"We therefore believe that the study of program design deserves the same central
role in general education as mathematics and English. Or, put more succinctly,
everyone should learn how to design programs.  On one hand, program design
teaches the same analytical skills as mathematics. But, unlike mathematics,
working with programs is an active approach to learning." - HtDP

"In many schools today, the phrase "computer-aided instruction"
means making the computer teach the child. One might say the
computer is being used to program the child. In my vision, the
child programs the computer and, in doing so, both acquires a
sense of mastery over a piece of the most modern and powerful
technology and establishes an intimate contact with some of the
deepest ideas from science, from mathematics, and from the art of
intellectual model building." - Mindstorms, Children, Computers and
Powerful Ideas

Just by curiosity
> I ran into Logo and the book a year after I finished most of HtDP.
What book are you talking about?

--
Eduardo Bellani

www.cnxs.com.br

"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow men. That is the entire
Law; all the rest is commentary." The Talmud

Posted on the users mailing list.