[plt-scheme] Why Modules?

From: Eric Tanter (etanter at dcc.uchile.cl)
Date: Sat Nov 22 10:53:57 EST 2008

I'm glad this issue of module vs. unit pops up again, because I'm
still not sure about when to use what.

 From the different responses here, I gather that if there is some
syntactic extensions involved, modules are the way to go (at least for
now). Is this right?

In a problem I exposed on the list some months ago, I had problems
with modules which were unrelated to needing syntactic extensions. It
also did not have to do with extreme separation of interface/
implementation that Matthew is refering to.

To recall, I just wanted to structure plain code nicer in order to be
able to use the IDE tools (like module browser and multi-file
debugging). But I ran into the limitation of not being able to define
mutually recursive modules. Some people then suggested basically
bootstrapping the recursion by hand (with explicit side effects),
which I must say, although it works, seems rather dirty/ad-hoc to me.
I also played with dynamic-require but then the debugging looped for
ever or did not work.

So I'm still puzzled about whether I should go for unit or keep to
modules. As of now, since time was pressing (deadline), I finally just
stayed with a plain multi-file/load configuration -- with poor IDE
support.

Thanks for helping!

-- Éric

On Nov 21, 2008, at 12:53 , Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> P.S. One other point to note is that people often ask for contracts
> for unit boundaries because the module boundaries come with it.
> Stevie Strickland has just started working on the proper integration
> of units and contracts, as a step toward typed units. -- Matthias
>

> On Nov 21, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>
>> At Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:57:51 -0500, "Ittai Balaban" wrote:
>>> In many respects (syntax bindings not included), units provide a
>>> much
>>> richer framework than modules - the latter cannot be assembled
>>> compositionally, prohibit cyclic dependencies, and do not allow
>>> multiple
>>> instantiations. Thus, my question is, since you make such a