[plt-scheme] The Philosophy of DrScheme

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 21 18:16:24 EST 2008

Grant wrote:

> I'm not sure why DrScheme is so under-appreciated. Perhaps people are
> not familiar. Is there some philosophy about how it works that users
> would find interesting?

You know the saying about how the measure of a society is how it treats
its weakest members? (It seems to have been said by just about
everybody, so you've probably heard it, maybe even said it yourself.)

To this external observer, it appears that the philosophy behind
DrScheme is to focus on how it treats its weakest users... while not
neglecting its strongest users. This is pretty rare among software
developers, if you ask me.

And at least part of the disdain some feel for DrScheme is related to it
not pandering excessively to the strong to the extent of driving away
the weak. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.