[plt-scheme] Some rough PLT web app figures

From: Michael Forster (mike at sharedlogic.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 19 21:33:28 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> This really neat! We should send you to DC to tell NSF about the success of
> our web and scheme stuff in general. -- Matthias

Just don't tell 'em we're Canucks ;-)

Seriously though, PLT Scheme was the deciding factor
in our being able to deploy these as web apps rather
than fat-client apps.  (The thought of deploying on over
200 Windows boxes across the country still gives me the
shakes.)

Previous versions were web-based and written in Common
Lisp.  CL was an excellent platform, but as customer demand
for interactivity escalated, and with AJAX representing a
significant security concern (our client is in the security and
event management business), fat-client looked like the only
option.

Happily, with PLT's send/suspend[/dispatch], we were able
to deliver more than enough interactivity, and in a much
better (in our opinion) programming style than required by
sessions or AJAX.

-Mike

Posted on the users mailing list.