[plt-scheme] Look at it differently: Why PLT?

From: Martin DeMello (martindemello at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 19 13:45:32 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Greg Woodhouse
<gregory.woodhouse at gmail.com> wrote:

> That being said, everyone on this list is using, or at least interested in
> using, PLT Scheme. Why? I suspect everyone will have their own answers, but
> here are some of mine:

I like how it combines clean, powerful, rich and pragmatic. Thus far,
the only other languages I've found in that sweet spot are Ruby,
Clojure and Python. I daresay I'll find Haskell pragmatic, and OCaml
clean, once I am better at them, but I liked how I could just pick up
PLT Scheme and start using it, and feel that I was getting some
advantage in doing so.

Plus, too few people care about more expressive ways to write GUI
desktop applications. I really like that the PLT GUI framework is well
integrated and not just a thin wrapper over some C or Java toolkit.

martin

Posted on the users mailing list.