[plt-scheme] SLaTeX: getting it to work

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 9 08:40:13 EST 2008

Huh.  You did configure your file system to give Dorai Sitaram
write-access too, right?  Because every running copy of SLaTeX has a
bit of Dorai's soul embedded in it. (-:

I am still not sure that SLaTeX is actually processing the file at
all.  I'm trying to think of some kind of \scheme{...} or
schemedisplay that one could write that would actually generate a
run-time error from SLaTeX.   Having just woken up, nothing pops into
my head (-:.  Anyone?  Note that the error must be from SLaTeX, not
from the LaTeX (ie, from the code generated by SLaTeX) -- the latter
is easy.

Shriram

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Bas Steunebrink <bass at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> That's a good point, Shriram; one that I had already run into. But LaTeX had
> already complained that it couldn't create a "quick.log" in the PLT
> directory to save the fact that it couldn't find the .Z files. So I tried
> again with administrator priviliges; this time LaTeX had not trouble
> creating log files but still SLaTeX generated no .Z files.
>
> Bas
>
> PS: I just noticed your name shows up in the acknowledgments of at least 4
> of my Scheme books here (Little/Seasoned/Reasoned Schemer, EOPL), nice! :-)
>

> Shriram Krishnamurthi schreef:
>>
>> PS: The problem here has nothing to do (afaict) with MikTeX vs other
>> TeX installations.  When run, the SLaTeX code seems to begin running
>> and then stop running, but in-between it doesn't seem to be spitting
>> out the .Z files.  So, later, the LaTeX package appears to load
>> slatex.sty correctly and looks for the .Z files and doesn't find them,
>> and blows up.  The absence of the dots, to my mind, is the key, and
>> that appears to be completely independent of the TeX installation.
>>
>> Bas, is it just possible that you somehow don't have write access in
>> the directory you're trying to write in?  Have you tried it from your
>> My Documents or some other such place, instead of within the PLT
>> installation directory?

>>> Has anyone successfully used sLaTeX with the Windows MiKTex LaTeX system?
>>>
>>> Bas, perhaps it would work correctly using cygwin's LaTeX? (totally
>>> guessing)

Posted on the users mailing list.