[plt-scheme] Does the autoloading of snip-classes support a PLaneT source?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Fri May 30 21:02:13 EDT 2008

>> I see that if the snip-class name is of the form "(lib ...)" that the
>> snipclass can be dynamic-required.  Can the the same support be
>> available for PLaneT-derived snips?
>>
>> I'm looking at mred/private/snipfile.ss, and I see that the definition
>> for "ok-lib-path?" only allows snip-classes to be auto-loaded from
>> collections.  If that definition could be expanded to also allow PLaneT
>> packages (maybe by just using module-path?), that would be nice.
>
> We haven't allowed this, so far, because it would mean that merely
> opening a file in DrScheme would be enough to have code downloaded and
> installed on your machine.

That may be a good thing from a usability point of view, and probably a
security nightmare from the administrator's.  :)

But I wanted to come back to this point.  What's in place now doesn't seem
like much protection; concretely, if I do a Check-syntax on a file written
by someone else, this too can potentially trigger the download and
installation of a PLaneT package, even though I haven't Run the program.

Posted on the users mailing list.