[plt-scheme] 399: how to get the internal helpdesk browser?

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri May 9 10:20:52 EDT 2008

Yavuz Arkun wrote:

> Indeed, I remember this being a particular bugbear of me until it was
> fixed in 3.99 series. I was getting distracted by the discordant look
> of the internal browser and rendered text compared to the rest of my
> desktop.

It's also discordant for me when I choose Help Desk in 3.99.0.23 and get
switched to my browser, meaning I have to switch back. I'm sure I'll get
used to it. Harder to deal with is the loss of search capability.
There's no search box in the top level help document. The master index
is huge and slow to load even though it's a local file and I have a fast
laptop. A search yields just a bunch of index entries without context; I
have to hover my cursor over each one and look at the "status bar" in my
browser to try to guess what section of what manual it will take me to
by deciphering the displayed URL. I think the overall scheme of the
documentation is a great improvement from 3xx, but it's a work in
progress, clearly. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.