[plt-scheme] 372: 3m does not check for VirtualAlloc failure

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 8 08:11:09 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Eric Kidd <eric.kidd at iml.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>  1) How stable is 3.99? I've seen a few segfault reports on the mailing
>  list, which would suggest that it might be too soon for us to consider
>  upgrading.

We run it in production web sites.  It is stable enough.

[There seems to be a conception by some that pre-releases are only for
those living on the edge.  For at least the last four years I've done
my day-to-day development in a recent checkout of plt-scheme.  The svn
trunk is usually very stable and has many bug fixes and improvements
compared to the latest release.  In fact I would go so far as to say
that anyone developing a web app using 372 is crackers. ]

>  2) Assuming we have ~2000 lines of C++ code using the 372 3m API, and
>  ~100,000 lines of Scheme code using the mzscheme language, what would
>  be involved in upgrading to 3.99? We're definitely not interested in
>  moving to R6RS any time in the next 6 months.

I don't have experience with the C API.  Most of your Scheme code will
run as is; maybe with a few modifications.  You can shift to the
scheme/base language over time.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.