[plt-scheme] 399: how to get the internal helpdesk browser?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 8 05:27:24 EDT 2008

My view is this:

- writing a featureful text rendering engine is a big undertaken. The
old help desk had significant limitations that made it difficult to
display some information (e.g. the page for plt-match.ss)
- there is limited time available for these tasks
- given the above, reusing an existing web browser is an obvious time saver

And the corollary:

If you don't like the current (3.99) help desk... all the
documentation is HTML, there are excellent web programming tools for
Scheme.  So write your own!  It would be really cool to see a bunch of
user developed help systems pop-up.

N.

>  Indeed.  If I may ask, why is it no longer used?  It was like having a personal assistant in DrScheme who is no longer around.  It now feels somehow ... lonely....
>
>  SWI-Prolog still has its own built-in internal browser, and WinHugs has its own built-in internal browser as well.  They each have their own styles.  It seems a shame that now DrScheme is reduced to using a generic browser.  Why not just keep the existing internal browser, but allow users to invoke an external one if preferred?
>
>  Benjamin L. Russell

Posted on the users mailing list.