[plt-scheme] scheme livecoding

From: Dave Griffiths (dave at pawfal.org)
Date: Sat Mar 22 18:02:35 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 07:32 -0500, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is great.  I just wish I could read all the code on the screen!
> Gotta have been there, I guess.
>
> As I was watching this, I thought, "Boy, it must suck trying to
> livecode in Java...and even, say, in a syntactically demanding
> language like Python".  Sure enough, I see no Web discussion of
> livecoding in Java.

Yep - syntax gets in the way of the thinking process required. There are
some domain specific languages - ChucK and supercollider being the most
common I think. Alex Mclean uses perl:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/08/31/livecode.html
and smalltalk is another language that's used.

> But there is a very complimentary article about
> your work:
>
> http://www.robmyers.org/weblog/2005/07/19/the-livecoding-language-of-choice-scheme/

Rob's another artist/lisp programmer hybrid:
http://rob-art.sourceforge.net/

> Do you think you'll ever roll out the FrTime-enhanced version of
> Fluxus?  Or is it just not going to scale to livecoding?

Well, it's got quite far, so hopefully the next release will have
something in. It's looking like a great way of quickly scripting games
together - this is the current emphasis, but hopefully in the same way
it can expand on what is currently possible when livecoding.

It should be an effective way of moving on from thinking about movement
of vertices or objects to behaviours between actors for example.

cheers,

dave

Posted on the users mailing list.