[plt-scheme] MrEd - Read Only Editor?

From: Ben Simon (benjisimon at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 23:34:44 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Robby Findler <robby at cs.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Ben Simon <benjisimon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Ryan Culpepper <ryanc at ccs.neu.edu>
> wrote:

> editor
> > that

> message%?
> > >
> > > When the editor is locked (see the 'lock' method), all modifications
> > > silently fail. So users can type in the editor and nothing happens.
> >

> > Interesting. Is it considered acceptable style leverage this fact and
> write
> > code that depends on this?
>
> Yes. Why wouldn't it be?

When I heard "silently fail" I wasn't sure if that would always be the
case.  What if the next version of the code base decides that it shouldn't
silently fail.  The *silently fail* part seemed like it could
be anun-expected feature.

Though, I was probably reading too much into this.

-Ben

--
I'm so done with my commute. See what I'm up to now:
www.ideas2executables.com