[plt-scheme] PLT4 expectations

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 10 11:08:39 EDT 2008

At Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:34:49 +0000, "Paulo J. Matos" wrote:
> The idea of PLT4 creating by default immutable pairs and the so, means
> that it also opens the possibility for far more and better
> optimizations in the compiler, right?

I doubt that there are many new optimization opportunities that matter
in practice.

Then again, I am not an expert in compilation, so I could easily be
mistaken. But if there were much to gain in this way, I expect that one
of the performance-oriented Scheme implementations would have tried
imposing immutable pairs by now.

> Will these be implemented or the change to immutable structures is
> just to have cleaner, more understandable code?

I'd refine that to "better specified and more reliable" code.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.