[plt-scheme] Does anyone use `set!' and `get!' patterns?

From: Joe Wells (jbw at macs.hw.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 9 12:51:11 EDT 2008

"Noel Welsh" <noelwelsh at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Joe Wells <jbw at macs.hw.ac.uk> wrote:
>>  ...  Without this feature, ML fanboys could say ...
>
> Does ML even have users, let alone fan boys?

OCaml has lots of users (and supports dereferencing mutable cells in
patterns).  It would be nice if it had a specification.

SML has fewer users each year.  The SML 2000 effort to redesign SML
for more relevance is progressing, albeit slowly (and it has needed to
be renamed because the original name was off by at least 8 years).

I still use SML because it is suitable for certain kinds of research
because it has an actual specification and it is actually a simple
language (if you ignore the module system).

--
Joe