[plt-scheme] PLT scheme download packages

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Mar 6 15:20:52 EST 2008

On Mar  6, Curt Ferguson wrote:
> I re-tried the self-install script.  I installed it this time
> without allowing extra link creation and put the plt tree in my home
> directory and it worked.

The extra links for a single directory installation are a kind of a
hack.  The real convenience in this is that you can freely move the
directory around, and you can have several different versions without
any problems.

> The first time was probably my inexperience with Ubuntu or I tried
> to install it to one of the system directories without root access,
> or something.  So this is a good thing.  If the self-install script
> would toss in a removal script for both the program and the symlinks
> (if created) whether you choose unix install or not.

The unix-style install does create an uninstall script.  For a
single-directory installation this would be an overkill...

> It'd be perfect.  I'd still prefer a *.deb package, but as long as
> it installs AND uninstalls clean, I'm happy...Besides, I found the
> FAQs, tutorials and such on ubuntu's forums for making deb packages.
> It looks like a PITA.

Yeah, that was my impression.