AW: [plt-scheme] word completion for module based languages

From: Robert Matovinovic (robert.matovinovic at web.de)
Date: Mon Jun 30 10:07:21 EDT 2008

the thing is I'm working to introduce DrScheme as the IDE of choice for an
simulation software that uses ELK Scheme as language with a lot of
extensions. Most engineers using this software are not to familiar with
scheme. So I see the appeal of DrScheme on one hand especially for
beginners. Instead of bothering them with the module system before getting
to work I hide in a special language mode all the connectivity and language
stuff, thus making it also possible to run the developed programs unchanged
in the much faster environment of the simulation software too. To have word
completion and the debugger at hand in this mode would be two major reasons
to use DrScheme. And not only for the beginners, since something like that
working out of the box is unique in the scheme world. The experienced users
already use a much less powerful editor which enables them to send their
programs directly to the simulation software. They will switch much easier
to DrScheme if they can take their old code and develop it further in
DrScheme using all the wonderful features seemlessly.

I hope you can support my point. So could you give me a further hint how I
could make it work, if you consider it to far from the migration path you
are persuing?

> If so, perhaps you might consider defining your language in a way that
> "#lang ..." works and then using DrScheme's module language. We're
> trying to migrate that way so that all of the information needed to
> run the program is in the program's text itself (as opposed to being
> in the environment).

Robert