[plt-scheme] collection not found error at startup

From: Ari Pollak (aripollak at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 10:58:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> * The problem seems to be that the debian package does its own
>  division of the directories into what goes into the mzscheme package
>  and what goes into the drscheme package.  We have a script that does
>  that job and verifies that no dependencies are broken.  Another
>  solution is to have a single plt-scheme distribution.

As far as I know, that script isn't public.

> * Unless its distributed in source form, there shouldn't be a
>  dependency on gcc.

Right, this should be removed as a remnant from the days when things
were built at install-time

> * IMPORTANT: the build should not use cgc -- it should use the default
>  3m.  The cgc version of mzscheme can suffer from potential memory
>  leaks, and this is especially important with long-running processes
>  like a web-server (and my guess is that the mzscheme package is
>  particularly popular for running servers).

Except that 3m doesn't build on architectures other than i386 and
amd64 (and maybe powerpc), so anyone running a server on another
architecture is still going to have to use cgc. Special-casing the
architectures that do happen to build with 3m is not something I
really want to deal with.

Posted on the users mailing list.