[plt-scheme] R6RS Interoperability

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 02:14:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Mark Engelberg
<mark.engelberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...  I'm starting to actually use
> PLT Scheme to get real work done (as opposed to just using it for
> educational purposes), and there's nothing I find more frustrating
> than writing something in Scheme, and then realizing I need to rewrite
> it in some other language for performance reasons.  Of course, many
> applications aren't performance-sensitive, but it would be nice if
> there were an easy path to higher performance when necessary.

If your application involves something for which high performance C
libraries are available (e.g. BLAS for linear algebra) you can very
easily create binding to those libraries using the FFI.  Will Farr's
plt-linalg library is a good example of this.

I'd like more speed as much as the next programmer, but I expect
getting funding for compiler development is very difficult as the
basics have been done many times over and therefore have very little
research value.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.