[plt-scheme] Semantics of quote

From: Filipe Cabecinhas (filcab at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 15:42:30 EDT 2008

On 23 Jun, 2008, at 20:15, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> But what does 'a mean? Where did it come from? How does
>
> 'a print in a "real" Scheme, after evaluating to itself?
> ''a print in a "real" Scheme, after evaluating to itself?
> '''a print in a "real" Scheme, after evaluating to itself?
> ''''a print in a "real" Scheme, after evaluating to itself?
>
> -- Matthias

But... 'a (or '<anything>) doesn't evaluate to itself :s

'a will evaluate to the symbol... 'a (a symbol that has "a" as its
name) wouldn't it?

Also, just to see if I understand it right... All your examples would
just lose one ':
a <- symbol, with a symbol-name = "a"
'a <- list with symbol 'quote and the symbol a
''a <- same thing, recursively (quote (quote a))

   - Filipe Cabecinhas

Posted on the users mailing list.