[plt-scheme] macro question

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 8 16:01:02 EDT 2008

On Jun 8, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:

> How do contracts fit into this view?

I am giving two answers because I am not sure what the question aims at:

Technically: Typed Scheme and Scheme modules may export to and import
from each other. In order to make such interaction safe (type
soundness), programmers must specify contracts at the boundaries of
typed modules. These modules must be strong enough to enable the type
checker to prove the correctness of the specified types.

(In our original theory, we had design an automatic synthesis and we
may still implement something along those lines.)

We have not yet integrated the type system with the contract system.
In other words, you cannot supplement typed exports with contracts
yet. Future work.

;; ---

Pedagogically: Types in TS play the role of contracts in HtDP. All
programs could be assigned types, and the type checker should 'bless'
them all. In the long run, I am considering using Typed Scheme for
the introduction of types into the HtD curriculum. Some unnamed
schools switch to ML for this purpose, but I think type inference
gets in the way of understanding the power of a rich type language.

(Having said that, TS supports 'local' type inference and we may
develop tools based on past soft typing work (inference via HM or
SBA) to help programmers port untyped modules into the typed world.)

-- Matthias

> Are they an alternative, orthogonal, or do both types and contracts
> need further development in order to be used effectively in tandem?
> (My knowledge of type theory is only at about the senior
> undergraduate level at this point, and I haven't looked seriously
> at PLT contracts yet.)

Posted on the users mailing list.