[plt-scheme] macro question

From: Sam TH (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 8 08:56:18 EDT 2008

I would describe three kinds of benefits, potentially, from a type system:

1 - finding stupid mistakes.  As Benjamin Pierce recently put it, this
is a consequence of trying to prove basically any non-trivial theorem
about your program, no matter what it is.

2 - finding more complicated mistakes, that is, encoding your
invariants in the type system.  This is hard, and might be rewarding,
but not our research area.

3 - maintainability.  When you look at a function, or a datastructure,
you immediately know something about how it works, and when you
perform maintenance in one place, you're prevented from screwing
things up in other places.

For Typed Scheme, we've focused mainly on benefit 3.  Certainly you
also get benefit 1 from Typed Scheme, as from any type system, but as
Matthias said, that isn't why we've developed it.

sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu