[plt-scheme] Congratulations

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Wed Jul 30 16:56:06 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marek Kubica" <marek at xivilization.net>
To: <plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:23 AM
Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] Congratulations

snip>
> P.S.: Today I took a look at the Reasoned Schemer and have to admit
> that the style is great. Too bad there is only a limited number of
> books that are written in a dialogue form like this.

Yes, the three Schemers are great books. They seem but to play, but the
books go deep into the matter. I find the 'playisch' style very fruitful
because the student is not made aware that he/she is learning difficult
things. This is very important. As a comparison: children of very young age
(say between 5 and 8 years old) have, by nature, perfect tuning when singing
their songs while playing. But as they are sent to school and get lessons
how to sing, the teacher too easily presents the matter as a DIFFICULT
thing. As a consequence the perfect tuning is often gone within a few days.
If Daniel P. Friedman and Matthias Felleisen were music teachers, the
children would learn singing without forgetting what they already are
capable of by nature. (BTW: nowadays there is a good method for music
lessons that starts from the capabilities already present, most importantly
the naturally inherited capability of singing and the capability of copying)
Jos

Posted on the users mailing list.