[plt-scheme] Why does this TCP client block?

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jul 23 22:20:10 EDT 2008

I'm not having a problem with the "More" tutorial per se, but in
trying to adapt it, I've run into a problem. I'm sure this is user
error on my part, but I've modified the early examples to read s-
expressions and write them back. Unfortunately, my test driver blocks
when trying to read a response back from the server. Testing with
telnet works fine.

Here is the test driver

;;A simple test driver
(define (test-it port-no)
   (begin
     (printf "Starting server on port ~a~n" port-no)
     (let ([stop (serve port-no test-handler)])
     (printf "Connecting to server on port ~a~n" port-no)
     (let-values ([(in out) (tcp-connect "localhost" port-no)])
     (define msg '(a b c))
     (printf "Sending message ~a~n" msg)
     (write msg out)
     (printf "Reading response...~n")
     (let ([resp (read in)])
           (printf "Response is ~a~n" msg))
     (printf "Stopping server."))
     (stop))))

"Oh would that my mind could let fall its dead ideas, as the tree
does its withered leaves."
--André Gide

http://www.gwoodhouse.com
http://GregWoodhouse.ImageKind.com