[plt-scheme] boolean operators on integers

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 12 10:44:26 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> In centuries past, around
> 1738, people thought that 0 stood for #f and that 1 stood for #t. But this
> pun hasn't been useful to real programmer since then so I don't know where
> one would fine this idea, except in history books.)

Not to be too too contrarian, but the idea is actually being used all
the time. It really starts with two voltages that we can interpret as
booleans to implement boolean logical formulas and then, whaddayaknow,
you can implement arithmetic using boolean formulas by treating the
binary digits of a number as truth values....

But of course, this is only something you think of when you peel back
a layer of abstraction.

THAT is the real sin, here. :)

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.