AW: [plt-scheme] word completion for module based languages

From: Robert Matovinovic (robert.matovinovic at web.de)
Date: Wed Jul 2 10:18:53 EDT 2008

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: robby.findler at gmail.com [mailto:robby.findler at gmail.com] Im Auftrag von
Robby Findler
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 2. Juli 2008 15:48
An: Robert Matovinovic
Cc: plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu
Betreff: Re: [plt-scheme] word completion for module based languages

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Robert Matovinovic
<robert.matovinovic at web.de> wrote:
>>>Why do you care to evaluate only a selection?
>>
>> Well, it is something people using the current editor for the
>> simulation software got used to. So I want to make transition as
>> convenient as possible.

>Did you consider making that connection custodian sensitive? I think we
briefly discussed this earlier (and that's not my >area of
>expertise) but it sounds like something to revisit.

Yes, I did, and I think it would be a good idea to make it custodian
sensitive. But it seemed to complicated to me and so I resorted to override
execute-callback since what I wanted to do couldn't be done by augment. I
would need a kind of tutorial to do it, and I'm not too familiar with C,
which is involved there AFAIK. Besides that I can't compile DrScheme from
sources yet. I just started to get things together.

>>>As far as the connection goes, that seems like something that you want
>> do in the on-execute callback of your language instead. That way it
>> won't happen for other languages.
>>
>> As far as I understand on-execute it wouldn't give me the possibility
>> to close down the connection after execution, which I like to do for
>> stability of communication.

>Does this imply that you do not use the REPL?

I want to use the REPL and have already a solution for that, I think. It is
not a problem that a command in the interaction window that needs to be
evaluated by the simulation program opens and closes the connection on its
own. But doing the same for a bigger program would add an overload of
connecting and disconnecting during execution and slows down everything. For
debugging, since time isn't that important, I can use that approach too.

Robert

>Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.