[plt-scheme] A first experiment with HTDP

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 1 16:17:09 EDT 2008

HtDP is clearly on the educational side of the spectrum that you're
worried about. So you should praise Grant for trying to add education
where universities and colleges have needlessly and pointlessly put
training first, a common phenomenon in both the US and Germany in
this day and age.

As Mike Sperber once told me:

> Wir sind froh, dass die Absolventen schon Java können.
> Programmieren müssen wir denen halt noch beibringen.

I am sure your Dutch-German is good enough to translate this concise
re-statement of my message.

(I recently ran across a statement by the chairman of CS at UI @
Chicago Circle that expressed disbelieve that someone would expect
education from a state university, which -- in his opinion -- had to
serve the economic interests of the state of Illinois. It is not
surprising then that companies spent on education of their employees
because universities and colleges fail.)