[plt-scheme] Help with #0 and #0# notation in the REPL

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 29 23:15:57 EST 2008

Ha! I see I'm not helping with that, am I! :) Let me try to explain.

When you write

  (define x (shared ((x (cons 1 x))) x))

you are actually creating a cycle that does not exist until the code
is actually evaluated. That is, the cycle creation is part of the
process of the evaluation of your program.

On the other hand, when you write:

  (define x '#1=(1 . #1#))

the cycle exists *before* your code is evaluated. The cycle is, in
fact, created as part of the process of parsing (technically,
'read'ing) your code. What you are saying, in effect, is "mr.
compiler, please create an abstract syntax tree for my program such
that the ast itself has a cycle in it".

While this is more expressive, it is not clear that it pays for
itself, in terms of the maintenance burden it puts on tool authors.
That is, every tool you might run on a program (check syntax,
profiler, debugger, type checker, etc etc etc) all now have to cope
with inputs that aren't just trees, but are cycles. On the other hand,
you can still certainly create cycles (using `shared' or, if
appropriate, mutation) but those cycles won't actually exist until
your code is evaluated. So, while we have taken something away, we
haven't take very much away, and we have bought ourselves something.
(Indeed, an early version of check syntax failed to terminate on such
programs; it went into an infinite loop coloring those cycles ...)

Hopefully that's a little more clear.

Robby