[plt-scheme] 'eval' function seems to completely ignore scopingrules.

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 20 12:55:56 EST 2008

Eli wrote:

> `eval' is still needed, IMO.  The only bad thing about it is that
> newbies tend to use it much much more frequently than needed.

In the two places it has come up for me, the code using it was supplied
by Noel and Eli, respectively. Noel's involved describing and then
creating Web pages using a DSL defined by macros. The use of eval is
described in the Scheme Cookbook:

http://schemecookbook.org/Cookbook/DynamicEvalCustomNamespace

Eli's involved evaluating student code in a safe manner and with certain
functions predefined. He has made this into sandbox.ss in the MzLib library.

In both these cases, something that is either code or looks very much
like it is residing in a separate file and needs to be evaluated. I
haven't needed eval in a context where scope at a narrower level needs
to be taken into account. To talk about what might replace it in such a
context, one really needs specific examples. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.