[plt-scheme] SRFI-1 move to scheme/list?

From: Michael Sperber (sperber at deinprogramm.de)
Date: Sat Jan 19 09:23:27 EST 2008

Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> writes:

> On Jan 18, Noel Welsh wrote:
>> On Jan 18, 2008 3:58 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>> > What about the subtle differences in behavior?  For example:
>> >
>> >   Welcome to MzScheme v3.99.0.9 [3m], Copyright (c) 2004-2008 PLT Scheme Inc.
>> >   > (require scheme/list)
>> >   > (require (prefix-in s: srfi/1))
>> >   > (s:second (list* 1 2 3 4))
>> >   2
>> >   > (second (list* 1 2 3 4))
>> >   second: expected argument of type <list>; given (1 2 3 . 4)
>>
>> I expect many people don't care about these differences.
>
> Well, I should have phrased my question differently -- is there any
> such differences that people will care about?  (Alternatively, are
> there any such differences that matter in cases where "you get what
> you deserve for doing X" is not a good answer, as in the above.)

If there are differences, and requiring (lib "1.ss" "srfi") gets you
procedures that aren't conformant with SRFI 1, that's a big problem.  I
recommend strongly against it.  (It seems changing the "list.ss" import
wouldn't be that much of a problem.)  I generally recommend importing
only specific procedures from SRFI 1, given its size and the genericness
of its names.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike