[plt-scheme] Help on newline when writing to a file

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 14:25:55 EST 2008

I have the following code:

(define file (open-output-file "test.txt"))

(newline file)
(display 5 file)
(display '#\newline file)
(display 4 file)

(close-output-port file)

When I open test.txt with notepad the newlines are displayed as little
rectangles (i.e. rectangle 5 rectangle 4 ) -- no spaces all on the
same line. Opening with wordpad gives me the expected display. What is
going on here?

I am using Windows XP.

One more note, when I copy and paste from notepad to this message the result is:

5
4

There is probably a trivial answer..........

Thanks,

Marco