Problem with recursion? (was [plt-scheme] Re: Novice needs help writing function )

From: dbtleonia at gmail.com (dbtleonia at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 4 12:46:15 EST 2008

>From my experience, the HtDP approach to teaching recursion works
well: teach recursive *data structures* before teaching recursive
*functions*.  I find students understand recursive data structures
more easily because data structures are concrete -- you can write down
examples and see where the recursion comes in.  Then once the students
have got that part down, moving on to functions over recursive data is
a much smaller conceptual leap.

I think the examples in this thread using Fibonacci are harder for
beginners to grasp.  Stick with lists or kebabs or whatnot.

Dave