[plt-scheme] Re: Novice needs help writing function

From: Benjamin L. Russell (dekudekuplex at yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 3 20:45:49 EST 2008

--- Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Last but not least, keep in mind that HtDP is an
> expansion of
> The Little Schemer, nee Little LISPer (MIT Press).
>
> -- Matthias, co-philosophy student

At last!  I was beginning to wonder when somebody was
going to mention _The Little Schemer_.  Actually, if I
remember correctly, I think that somewhere in that
book, the author mentioned that its purpose was to
teach the student how to think recursively, and I felt
that the dialog style of that text was eminently
suited to teaching recursion to a beginner.

Since HtDP is an expansion of that book, _The Little
Schemer_ may be useful as a prequel.  After that,
another suggestion could be _The Seasoned Schemer_.

-- Benjamin, co-liberal arts student
   (Although I majored in Computer Science, I also
completed all the coursework for a major in Japanese
Literature except for the senior essay (I chose a
natural linguistics project without enough natural
linguistics background), and often tend to think in
terms of natural languages even when programming.)

Posted on the users mailing list.